So we sew a lot with black fabric especially for this Ren fair adventure. But the ones we have finished most recently was the caplet and the black pirate shirt for Jordan. I’m really proud of the shirt because it has 12 hand sewn eyelets and 2 hand bound button holes in the cuffs and lots of hand finishing on all the internal seams. The caplet turned out really cute and I love the fit of it. We will have better detailed pictures after Ren fair (which is in 4 days!!!!!)
I worked on the cross stitch a little bit, I love the visual of the mandala chicken but switch thread colors all the time is getting annoying. But I also finished the final final piece of the ren fair costume journey for this year, the ring belt for Alok to wear with his pirate shirt. Since he is a bean pole a belt will help give the shirt some more shape
So I have not been able to get actually any nice photos of us in our outfits outside yet so we’re actually going to look at what we’re wearing outside of my apron dress. Which are turtle shell brooches and bed strings. The one with the bronze brooches are for Jessi’s outfit and the silver crescent moon shaped ones are for mime. historically these would have been comprised of mostly glass pleads but we didn’t really have access to those so we used a lot of stone beads that we got really cheap at Jo-Ann’s, some small glass seed beads and these really cool metal beads/charms.
Through this costuming journey, I have learned one thing, that linings are the devil and by using black magic and evil sorcery you can make a bag lining look decent. Firstly we have this cape lining, its made of this really cheap poly china silk and even after being ironed it will not nicely sit against the black cotton outside. I hate it with a vigorous passion, but with 7 days to ren fair it will have to do and we will do better next year. One the bottom is the cotton lining of a caplet, which is also bag lined but because we sold my soul to a crossroads demon it behaves nicely. In reality, I think it’s because we used a cotton lining and the outside fabric is also cotton which is why they behave well together. Next year I will be making Jessi do flat-lining which she doesn’t want to because of the extra work but I can’t sell my soul again because I only had the one.
Step 1: trace pattern pieces of garmint you will sew onto fabric. draw embroidery design on them. small fine lines is good, especially if you will not wash embroidery after.
Step 2: use an hoop or embroidery frame to stretch fabric nice and tight so it will not do a wrinkly. Embroider thing on there. this will most likely take quite a while unless it is a very small embroider. Many needlework guidebooks exist to tell you all about different stitches and whatnot, and can porbably be found in your local library.
step 3: see that thing is all done being embroidered, and maybe possibly wash it. it depends on material. if it is a cotton thing then yeah sure wash it, but if it is a silk taffeta or satin then no do not. iron it nice smooth flat.
step 4: cut all pieces out.
step 5: sew thing. (side note – i sewed this particular thing very wrong and unpicking and re-making it completely is on my to-do list. even the step shown in this picture is wrong.)
Oh gosh people think I work here. Let’s dive into roleplay
Me looking for someone who should be at the tailor and then not knowing which booth is the tailor.. ADVENTURE
It was on the ONE SIDE street I didn’t go down 😂😂
It’s Honey Mead time
I just saw a man do push ups and then walk away.
I have to find him
I have to challenge him
Today I met a mermaid and 🤩🤩🤩
Oh my gosh, I just met someone random who DEFINITELY works here and we spent literally 30 minutes doing an improv skit on herding trees and learning numbers 😂😂😂😂
They said they were a sheep herder and I said i was a tree herder because I panicked and so we spent a good five minutes trying to get a tree to move and then after that we started asking people if they knew that this number was two and it was a drawing 11 but we were convinced it was a two because it was two ones next to each other.
I have no idea who this person was and I told them my name was Gabriel von Strauss also because I panicked to think of something and I think she said her name was Isabella but either way I’m living today has been great 😂😂😂😂
I AM SO STOKED FOR THE VEGAS REN FAIR GUYS!!! WE HAVE MADE GREAT PROGRESS ON OUR OUTFITS
The corset for Jordan’s rogue outfit is also finally done, made out of a floral brocade, china silk and boning with brass eyelets as closures. A thin strip of ribbon binds off the top edge and incases the frayed edges. Like the bodice for Jessi’s outfit, the boning here was also trimmed and filed down to rounded edges.
This thing made my sewing machine and Jessi’s sewing machine very angry. We also made it wrong but right? The shape is correct but we used too much stiffener (iron-on interfacing) so the shape is much more defined than it was supposed to be, but it also gives a stronger, more masculine shoulder that is very nice. The eyelets and some of the seams are hand-sewn because the stiffener liked to gum up the sewing machines and the buttonholes would not work with the thick fabric on the neck closure. I do absolutely adore the buttons though, they’re metal shank buttons and remind me of the Goddess Tymora, the goddess of luck from DND.
Some hand-sewn buttonholes, I used the video from Bernadette Banner to learn how to do these, the second buttonhole definitely looked better. But at least they are sewn with black thread and not very noticeable.
These beautiful metal shank buttons came from Joann’s and were a perfect choice for this project.